(Update, May 29: We already got review units from HTC. Unfortunately, we’ll have to postpone revealing more details until we get to interview HTC’s regional manager. The Taiwan-based executive is the person authorized to talk more about the company’s plans in the Philippines. Till then.)
Almost midnight of May 26, we got a message from a former colleague at Summit Media informing us that HTC’s business development manager for the Philippines would like to meet with us to lend us the HTC U11, U Ultra, U Play, and Desire 10 Pro.
That got us excited. After all, it’s been more than three years since the 20-year-old company quietly left the country. The last device it launched here — that was back in May 2013 — was the HTC One (M7). We remember because we won that unit at the Qualcomm Uplinq 2013 event we covered in San Diego, California.
The message came at the right time as well because we just wrote about the newly launched HTC U11, the smartphone that now has the highest-rated camera. And it seems that many of you are interested in it. Besides getting the highest hits since we posted the article about it, we’ve been getting a lot of inquiries about the smartphone.
Anyhow, we’ve already sent these questions ahead of our meeting tomorrow:
- What month will you officially come back to the Philippines?
- What’s your strategy now? Will you be focusing on brick-and-mortar stores or online ones?
- Our friend mentioned that you will be appointing an exclusive distributor here. Is that true? If yes, can you already share with us the company that you’re authorizing to distribute HTC products in the Philippines?
- Which products are you initially bringing here?
- What made HTC decide to come back to the country?
- So you already have an office here? Or are you still reporting to the team in Taiwan?
HTC has promised to get back to us, so stay tuned. We will be updating this article as soon as we get the answers to our questions. If you have queries of your own, do send them in immediately.
Related video: HTC U11 launch livestream
Share this Post