Richard Yu at the Huawei P30 and Huawei P30 Pro launch via Revu Philippines

Huawei asks court for fast resolution to ‘illegal’ US trade ban

In Business by Ramon Lopez1 Comment

Huawei, through chief legal officer Song Liuping, today called for a quick end to the state-imposed ban that prevents American companies from buying and licensing products and technology to the Chinese OEM.

HONOR X9d 5G Cybertruck Revu Philippines ad

The firm has filed a motion for summary judgment in its court case as part of legal action against the United States seeking to restrict Huawei’s business on its soil. A hearing on that motion is scheduled for September 19 in Texas.

China had earlier encouraged affected companies — not the least of which Huawei — to go through legal channels to challenge the U.S. ruling.

SEE ALSO: Could this be Huawei OS’ international name?

Song criticized the campaign against Huawei and called it an excuse that will do nothing to make networks more secure. “It provides a false sense of security, and distract attention from the real challenges we face,” he added.

Song also addressed the accusations levied at Huawei, which supposedly led to the decision to block the company from using American components, services, and technology. According to him, “The U.S. government has provided no evidence to show that Huawei is a security threat. There is no gun, no smoke. Only speculation.”

Huawei chief legal officer Song Liuping on Revu Philippines

Huawei chief legal officer Song Liuping: ‘Tomorrow, it could be your industry, your company, your consumers’

He said that the U.S. suppression of Huawei sets a precedent for similar action to be taken against other foreign companies. “Tomorrow, it could be your industry, your company, your consumers,” Song warned.

Huawei says the trade ban will directly harm over 1,200 U.S. companies that do business with the firm, and tens of thousands of American jobs will be affected as well. Billions of customers who use Huawei products around the world will also feel the effects of the U.S. government’s move. 

Huawei has already had its Android license revoked by Google, effectively preventing future devices from shipping with Google’s first-party apps including the Play Store.

READ ALSO: FAQ: Huawei loses Android license amid U.S.-China trade war

A 90-day reprieve in the form of a temporary license has since been issued to Huawei to allow it to carry on doing business with U.S. firms. And the company has revealed plans for an upcoming mobile operating system, possibly named Ark OS, that can run Android apps if Android is no longer a viable option.

Qualcomm, Intel, Broadcom, ARM, and Panasonic are some of the biggest names that have followed suit in cutting ties with Huawei after the U.S. ban. However, there’s a bit of good news today, as SD Association, Wi-Fi Alliance, and Bluetooth SIG, which had revoked Huawei’s membership to their organizations, reinstated it.

Share this Post


Learn About This Author

Ramon Lopez

Facebook Twitter

Reviews Editor: Ramon "Monch" Lopez is an 18‑year media veteran who has helped shaped content for Yahoo and other top publications. He first dove into PR and marketing for an automobile brand, then ran the gadgets‑merchandising arm of a Philippine retail giant — proof he knows wheels and tech from the warehouse to the web. Now REVU's Reviews Editor, Monch balances his obsession with specs with a "quality over quantity" mindset, usually fueled by coffee, photography, videography, video games, basketball, and the occasional deadline chase.