Xiaomi has unfolded its second foldable smartphone after the Xiaomi MIX Fold device that was announced in March last year.
The Xiaomi MIX Fold 2 is now official, launching alongside the Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro 12.4, Xiaomi Watch S1 Pro, Xiaomi Buds 4 Pro, Redmi K50 Extreme Edition, a washer/dryer, an intelligent smoke cleaner, and the CyberOne full-size humanoid bionic robot in China.
Foldable devices can be bulky, but the MIX Fold 2 is thin and light, measuring 11.2mm when closed and only 5.4mm when unfolded and weighing just 262 grams. Even the Xiaomi-developed Micro Waterdrop Hinge is also thinner and more lightweight by 18% and 35%, respectively.
The outer panel is a 6.56-inch Samsung E5 AMOLED one with a 21:9 aspect ratio, a 120Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection, and a 20-megapixel selfie camera inside a centered punch hole. The inner screen, on the other hand, is an 8.02-inch Eco LTPO2 OLED display that offers a 2K+ resolution, a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz, an under-screen camera, and Schott UTG glass for added sturdiness. Both support Dolby Vision and sport 1,000 nits peak brightness.
The Xiaomi MIX Fold 2 is the company’s second phone after the Xiaomi 12S Ultra to feature a Leica-branded camera system. In its now-horizontal camera module are a 50-megapixel Sony IMX766 main sensor with optical image stabilization, a 13-megapixel ultrawide-angle lens, and an 8-megapixel telephoto unit with 2x optical zoom. The device can shoot 8K videos and record in Dolby Vision HDR format.
The MIX Fold 2, just like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 and Galaxy Z Flip4 that was unpacked a day before it, is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 5G chip paired with 12GB of RAM and up to 1TB of storage. This sleek-looking foldable is likewise equipped with a 4,500mAh battery that supports 67-watt fast charging and runs Android 12-based MIUI Fold 13 out of the box.
In China, the Xiaomi MIX Fold 2 is priced as follows:
- 256GB: ¥8,999 (roughly P73,891 in Philippine pesos or $1,334 in U.S. dollars)
- 512GB: ¥9,999 (P82,146 or $1,483)
- 1TB: ¥11,999 (P98,577 or $1,779)
Xiaomi has kept mum about this device’s availability outside China. The first one wasn’t released globally, so hopefully, we’ll see the second-generation MIX Fold rolled out on the international market.
Xiaomi MIX Fold 2 specs
- 8.02-inch Eco OLED foldable display, 2,160 x 1,914 resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, Schott UTG glass
- 6.56-inch AMOLED cover display, 2,520 x 1,080 resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- 4nm Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 processor
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM
- 256GB/512GB/1TB UFS 3.1 storage
- Triple 50-megapixel main, 13-megapixel ultrawide, 8-megapixel telephoto rear cameras
- 20-megapixel front camera
- Under-display fingerprint reader
- 4,500mAh battery with 67-watt USB-C charging
- MIUI Fold 13 OS based on Android 12
- Color options: Black, gold
Share this Post