Image-quality rating site DxOMark has finally reviewed the Pocophone F1. And the verdict might not be what Apple fanboys want to hear.
Launched in August 2018 under Xiaomi’s sub-brand Poco, the smartphone snagged a total score of 91, with 92 for photo and 90 for video. The Apple iPhone 8, on the other hand, got 92, with 93 for photo and 90 for video.
That’s a difference of only one point. That’s significant, considering that the particular iPhone model became available in the Philippines at launch for at least P44,990 (around $859). The base model is currently priced at P39,490 ($754), a little over a year after its release. However, you have to remember that the Pocophone F1 is selling for as low as P17,990 ($344).
Apples and oranges, yes, because they’re going after different markets, after all. Plus, they’re on different platforms. But if your top consideration when buying a phone is the camera system and you don’t have that much cash to spare, then this finding can make a huge difference.
Too bad we weren’t able to review the iPhone 8; we only bought the Apple iPhone X. But we can confirm that while the Pocophone F1’s main draw is still its Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chip, the sensors are nothing to be sniffed at. As we said in our review of our pick for “Revü Awards 2018: Best Value-for-Money Smartphone of the Year” award, “For the price, we can’t ask for a faster, more satisfying product than what the company has put in front of us.”
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 (Poco F1) specs
- 6.18-inch LCD display, 2,246 x 1,080 resolution (18.7:9)
- LiquidCool Technology cooling system
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
- 6GB/8GB RAM
- 64GB/128GB/256GB expandable memory
- Dual 12- and 5-megapixel rear cameras with LED flash
- 20-megapixel front camera
- Fingerprint reader (rear-mounted)
- 4,000mAh battery
- MIUI 9.6 based on Android 8.1 Oreo
Apple iPhone 8 specs
- 4.7-inch Retina HD display, 1,334 x 750-pixel resolution, 326ppi, 16:9, True Tone
- Apple A11 Bionic chip
- 2GB RAM
- 64GB/256GB expandable storage
- 12-megapixel rear camera
- 7-megapixel front camera
- Fingerprint reader (front-mounted)
- Non-removable Li-Ion 1,821mAh battery
- iOS 11
Share this Post